Modern Foreign Languages
Bienvenue! Willkommen! ¡Bienvenidos!
The MFL Team:
Head of Area/German & French teacher: Mr R Watts
Head of French: Mr A Roy
French & Spanish teachers: Mrs G Gold, Mr M Smart, Mrs M Peralta-Jimenez
French teachers: Mrs S Hammoudi-Thomas
LSA: Mrs A Ince
Support: Mrs J Lynch
In the Modern Foreign Languages Department three languages are taught; French, German and Spanish. French and German are taught to GCSE and A Level, whilst Spanish is currently taught to GCSE level only.
- The department benefits from a blend of experienced and young teachers who aim to bring a knowledge of these target languages, the countries where they are spoken and the culture of those who speak them to our students.
- A wide range of teaching techniques are used.
- Lessons take place mainly in the target language which students are encouraged to use independently.
- Students can be involved in carrying out surveys, accessing the internet, developing role-plays, playing games, singing songs and further activities designed to practise the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Lessons are often very active and a high level of participation from students is required.
The department is housed in a suite of air-conditioned rooms which are equipped with electronic whiteboards and a broad range of audio visual equipment. The department is well resourced with course books and on-line materials for use in class and at home.
The department runs a number of trips and out of school learning opportunities which are described in the ‘Extended Learning’ section.